2019 BASE Team Applications
It is finally here. The 2019 team is going to be even more epic than what the 2018 and prior teams had going for them. We are looking to continue to be the largest and best team in the country. Below is some information you will need to know prior to letting us know if you you'd like to join our team.
We are a family first. We travel to races together. We have a team dinner AT EVERY SINGLE IRONMAN AND 70.3 RACE IN NORTH AMERICA. Every Single One. And all team members are invited to join.
We have a blast. We have all made lifelong friends from this team.
It all starts with you telling us a little about yourself.
And then, coming to the best weekend of all, BASE Camp Florida.
And then joining us at a race for a team dinner.
And then volunteering during a full Ironman passing out BASE. And dancing with us to the Greatest Showman.
If you want to have the most amazing 2019 ever, please join us. We would love to have you.
Here are some Frequently Asked Questions about the BASE Team
Should I join another team before you let us know on November 1?
- No, if you want to be a part of our family, it will show in the information you tell us. You don't need to join other teams as a "back up plan."
Are you an exclusive team?
- No, we are an inclusive team. You don't have to be fast. You don't have to have a bajillion instagram followers. Heck, you don't even have to have an IG account. We just want you to be nice, respectful of your teammates, and promote yourself and sports in a positive manner
What is the purpose of the team?
- First and foremost: Have fun! This is our top priority! Secondly, we promote BASE products in the community. Finally, we promote our partners on the team.
Will you be required to wear the BASE Kit?
- We ask that you wear the BASE Team Kit in at least 3 races throughout the year. If you are on a team which requires you to wear their kit at 100% of all of your races, the BASE team is probably not the team for you. Honestly, we like the other teams. They are great. But if you are on Wattie Ink Hit Squad for example, then you should probably stick with them and support them. It's honestly pretty tough when we pour our heart and souls into the BASE Team and then see our team members run by us on an Ironman course in a another teams kit. We have mad respect for all the other teams out there, and the above is just an example. We just think you should give your national team 100%. If you're on Wattie, or Big Sexy, or Betty, give that team 100%. Don't spread yourself thin by being on BASE as well.
Can we be on another team and also be on BASE?
- We encourage you to be on your local coaches team, or your local tri club. This helps us grow. If you are on a competing Nutrition Companies team such as Infinit, Honey Stinger, or on a team which promotes competing products such as Herbalife and Gatorade, yeah, that is not going to work.
Which products will BASE offer in 2019?
- Besides our current products of Hydration, Recovery, Aminos, Salts and Bars, we are adding BASE Gels, BASE Chews, BASE Custom drink powders, and BASE Carbo Boost similar to carbo Pro, to our lineup. Hence why you do not need to be on other teams such as Infinit, as we are your one source shop for all of your needs.
Will I be required to purchase a team kit?
- The team kits will be shipped to you with your BASE Box in February / March. We will discuss that with you.
Once I submit my application, when and how will you notify me if I am on the team?
- You will receive a notification email approximately November 1, 2018. This will likely go to either your Spam or Promotions folders. Please look for the email starting November 1, 2018.
What are your standards for accepting athletes on to your team?
- Our standards are fairly easy to meet:
- Are you fun? Then you are welcome on the team!
- Are you always smiling? Then we love you.
- Are you drama free? Then please, join us!
- Are you accepting of others? We are an inclusive group and we love all of you. Our team is a big family and we want to continue to grow our family.
- HOWEVER—We are NOT looking for athletes who just want to add another notch to their belt. For example, if you are already an ambassador for 27 other companies (sad but true story), please do not apply. THAT is not our thing.
- Please do not join the team solely for the discounts. Honestly, this shows and is not why our team exists. We want you to be active in the group: to encourage, to participate, and to help us grow.
- You should probably sample our products prior to applying to be certain you can help promote them.
- Are you fun????? Did we mention: Are you fun????
Do I have to Race Ironman or Half Ironman distance races to be on the team?
- Absolutely NOT. We actively seek beginners and we include team members who are not triathletes (marathon runners, mountain bikers, maybe even a biathlete because who wouldn’t want to ski and shoot a gun?). We want you on our team and you will benefit from the experiences of our more seasoned team members.
Do we receive discounts on BASE Products?
- Yes, of course. The value of your discount grows larger each year you return to the team. In your first year, you will receive 25% off products and 50% on PRE ORDER gear. 2nd year team members receive 30%, 3rd year 35%, 4th year 40%, and 5th year, 45% off.
Who are some of the other BASE Partners that we receive discounts with? (The red items below are linked to their respective website if you would like to learn more)
What are the requirements of being on the team?
- We ask you to volunteer a MINIMUM of FOUR hours at races throughout the entire year. Yes—only four (4) hours. You stand in line at the grocery store all year longer than four hours. BASE attends 50 events per year, which opens up plenty of volunteer opportunities. Even if you are racing in a particular race, you can help out at the expo for an hour or two. It most likely will not kill you. Plus, IT IS FUN.
Is it free of charge to be on the team?
- No it is not free to be on the team. There is a fee of around $350 ish. However, for that $350 ish, you will receive $1,000- to $1,200-worth of fantastic stuff, including products and new training, racing, and active wear. We want you to appreciate all the items you receive—free items have zero value. In 2018, the team placed $1050 worth of items into their cart, entered the team code and $700 was taken off.
- If you are in need of a new wetsuit for 2019, Quintana Roo is offering BASE Team members $400 off of their new high end wetsuit, which is amazing.
Can bribes be sent to Lauralee?
- Yes. If you are on the team, you'll understand. She loves wine, but not till after February...Count Chocula Cereal gets you an automatic in!
What are the dates we can have expectations set for? Walk us backwards
- January 15 through March 1, 2019: we aim to have your BASE Boxes mailed to you. This is a full 6 week process.
- November 15, 2018: Kits and gear will be ordered from the manufacturer so we will have it by January.
- November 10, 2018: Team members’ orders for kits and gear must be completed and the team store will be closed. Team BASE boxes store is closed.
- November 1, 2018: Notification emails will be sent and the team store will open
- October 23, 2018: Team application notice will be launched.
What fun things such as camps does BASE have:
- BASE Training Camp #1: 2/28-3/03 - Clermont, FL - all abilities welcome. $100 for team members. It is a fun camp with a training problem.
- BASE Training Camp #2: 5/23-5/27 - Boulder, CO -Memorial Day weekend. All abilities welcome. $200 for team members. It is a fun camp with a training problem. Price included entry into the Bolder Boulder 10K on Monday the 27th.
Will someone on the team please explain the Matt's hair jokes?
- Yes, but don't expect it to come from Matt. The hair jokes go along with jokes about Matt showering once in a while.
I don't understand the hoodie inside jokes?
- Trust us. You will learn. And you WILL buy a hoodie. Best $40 investment ever. Just wait.
Do I have to be fast to be on the team?
- No. No. No. We are not an elitist group. We aim to be FUN. We are the back-of-the-packers, although we do have some talented athletes. We live in the real world: we are the dedicated ones who bust our butts all day at work, have families, and still find time during the day to squeeze in a workout. Plus, if we pay ridiculous entry fees for a race, we are going to get our money’s worth out there. - Unless you're Dave. Or Jesse. But everyone else. Yeah, we're all in the same boat.
If I can't make it to Ironman events to volunteer, how else can I promote BASE and spread the word?
- We are branching into running races, charity events, swim meets and cow-tipping competitions. We are growing, and we want you to help us grow together. But… wow! Do we have a ton of fun on the run course at Ironman events!!
Is there a newsletter?
- There's a newsletter????? YES!! There is a team email that we try to get out once or twice a month with updates.
Is there a private team Facebook page?
- Yes, it is our forum to communicate, to support and encourage each other, and it has ZERO drama. It is awesome.
Am I required to do a certain amount of Social Media posts per week / month?
- No way Jose (or Josette). Posting on your personal social media is awesome. Feel free to tag us—if you do, we will likely repost what your amazing accomplishment.
Can I join the team in January or later in 2019?
- Yes, you may; but you will not receive the same prices for the goodies as you would by joining in October. We purchase product and gear in large volumes in November, which is when our suppliers give us volume discounts that we pass along to you. If we must do one-offs later in the year, the costs to us (and you) are much higher. Furthermore, there will be issues in managing late team applications.
If I do not have the $350 in November, can we work out a payment arrangements?
- This will be handled on a case-by-case basis. We do not prefer payment plans, but we also understand. We can work out something if it is absolutely necessary.
Do we have to be in the continental US to be considered part of the team?
- You do not have to live in the U.S. However, if you are outside of the U.S. or Canada, you must have a service box to which we can send stuff. If you live in a different country, you already know to what we refer.
Are you a pet friendly team?
- We prefer pets over humans
If I am a professional, do I need to apply, or is there a different process?
- Send an email to Matt. email@example.com
Do I have to use ALL the BASE products?
- No, but we would certainly like for you to at least try them. We are implementing a program to offer larger discounts if you order more product each month.
Do I have to be fast like Matt, as smart as LJ, pretty like Lauralee, nuts like Russel, fly like Collin or as cool as Danny??
- No one is as pretty as Lauralee, but the other 5 fools. Easy Peasy.
Can I co-brand Base with my own business, charity, local races, or along with other non-competing products?
- Yes, just speak to Matt / Lauralee first please.
Will we have samples to share?
- Yes, each of you will be given samples of products in your BASE Box for the purpose of sharing.
If I am at an Ironman event and want to volunteer, should I volunteer through Ironman or direct through BASE?
- Important - direct through BASE. Ironman always has 3,000 volunteers, BASE usually has 3. We need your on course help much more than Ironman, and I can guarantee you will have a lot more fun.
What is the BASE box, and how does it work
- From November 1 through November 10, 2018, you will have access to the team store where you will create your wish list of products: Hydros, Aminos, Salts, Omegas, training gear, racing gear, active wear, etc. THEN…you will receive a code that will provide you a $700 to $800 discount on your order. Your order will then be prepared and then in late winter you will be sent a box in the mail with all the goodies you put together. Most of the items are for you, because you are a FUN team member—but some are for you to share with others. Spread the fun around…
Can my significant other and I both be on the team together?
- Oh heck yeah. Just complete two separate applications please. But we love awesome couples. Couples who train together stay together.
I didn't know BASE had other products besides BASE Salt. What are they?
In closing, please be fun! THAT is what makes our team so awesome! We never take ourselves too seriously, except for when Matt brushes his hair… or when Lauralee does not—in transition. Besides that, we really have a good time. You will always, always see our BASE Athletes smiling.
We have all grown so close together over these past few years. We have been to each others weddings. Gone through divorces. And watched Matt and Lauralee grow baby BASE, Finnley. We have all grown tight, and will cherish all of our time together.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.